Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wait, did I get scammed or did I do the scam?

When we returned to Kathmandu, I went out to finish my shopping for gifts. I had already made friends with Afza and then through him another shopkeeper (let’s call him Pappu) who turned out to have been in movies (Kali-wood; the Nepali version of Bollywood). As I went past the shop, I met with HIS brother Vino, who told me how Pappu was not only a jeweler but also an ophthalmologist; and Vino a lawyer. They came to work in their grandfather’s jewelry shop at the request of the father. After some tea, and general declarations of brotherhood and friendship, I looked at some statues that I had been eyeing. Basically the one I wanted was a Hindi version of the Venus DeMilo. There were two statues, one in better shape and slightly larger and more expensive. I decided to get this one, and after some calls of brotherhood, Vino decided to throw in the other one as well. Then he told me he wanted me to pick out something for my wife as a gift from him to his new sister-in-law! So I’m pretty much making out like a bandit, right?

Well, one of the few con games played in Nepal is a gem scam, where they ask to you buy some stones (which later turn out to be pretty worthless) to take home and resell for them to a designated buyer (who does not exist). Pappu “happens” to come back to the store with a couple of aquamarines (or so they say, but I have no idea about gemstones) and they ask if I will buy them, bring them to the states, and then when Pappu comes to the States in a few weeks, he can buy them back and they can avoid the import charges. I eventually convince them that I can’t do this, the money to lay out is too much. Meanwhile, Vino’s son has been wrapping up the statues which I have yet to pay for. Now it is a bit more money than I have on hand, so I go back to the hotel to get my credit card. They don’t have a machine, but we decide to go to the bank. Pappu and his nephew get in the cab with me, and I have some momentary anxiety about what will happen as I am now in the car with three strangers going who knows where, in a country where I don’t speak the native language. However, as we start to leave Thamel, Pappu says he is pretty sure that the American Express card I have won’t work, and can I pay any other way? (Cue ominous theme music – maybe I should have picked up some ransom insurance before I left?) . I offer to leave the statues and wire the money to the daughter, so she can pay and then pick up the statues later in the week. “What about traveler’s checks?” he asks. I have about a quarter of the agreed upon price in travelers checks. “Great” he says. Since we are brothers now, he trusts me to wire the rest and we head back to the store. I write out the travelers checks, and take the statues with me.

So in the end, I leave with 2 statues, having paid a quarter of the agreed upon selling price for one, with only the promise to send the rest. They don’t know my name, my address, or anything. So, did they scam me or did I scam them?

No comments: